Gas Safety

Using gas as fuel in the home usually is very safe. However, poorly maintained gas appliances can put people’s lives at risk. Gas leaks can lead to explosions, which could kill.

Faulty gas appliances and lack of ventilation can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning, which has serious health effects. You must let us into your home and allow us to inspect your gas appliances.

Leaking gas can cause an explosion. If you smell or suspect a gas leak, report it immediately to Northern Ireland Gas Emergency Service on 0800 002 001 (24-hour phone line).

  • Turn off the gas supply at the main meter.
  • Open the doors and windows.
  • Do not switch any electrical appliance on or off, including the lights or sockets.
  • Do not smoke, strike matches or light candles.

As your Landlord, by law, we must make sure your gas appliances, gas piping and flues in your home are well maintained and safe.

A gas safety check will be carried out every 12 months by a gas engineer who is registered with Gas Safe. We will give you a copy of the inspection report at the start of your tenancy and then every year when the safety check is carried out.

If you have gas appliances in your home, you are responsible for getting them safety checked; you must use a Gas Safe Engineer. Get more information on finding a Gas Safe Engineer or telephoning 0800 408 5500.

  • We will write to you beforehand to let you know when your service is due
  • We will offer you an appointment between 9 am and 5 pm Monday to Friday, and by appointment only on Saturdays, so that you know when the engineer will be coming out.
  • If you choose not to make an appointment, the engineer will call your home three times, leaving you a contact card if you are not home.
  • We will write to you three times, allowing you to make an appointment to carry out the service.
  • We will schedule other repair appointments at the same time as your servicing appointment, so you only have to stay at home once

NB Housing will charge an administrative fee in specific circumstances:

  • If an appointment is scheduled and there is no access to the house
  • If a registered engineer calls three times or more to your home and there is failure to gain access.

Because we have to carry out this safety check by law, you must allow us into your home every year. Whether you use your gas supply or not, failing to allow us to carry out this essential check will result in the following action:

  • We will start legal action by sending you a ‘notice of seeking possession.’
  • We will refuse to carry out repairs or improvements (other than emergency repairs) to your home.
  • We may refuse you to go on the waiting list for a transfer
  • The court may award us possession of your home for breaking your tenancy agreement
  • The court may enforce an injunction
  • You or a member of your family may be seriously affected by carbon monoxide poisoning.

We only employ contractors who are Gas Safe registered and who are qualified to work on your gas appliance. Before allowing anyone into your home to carry out gas work, ask to see their Gas Safe identification card. It is the size of a credit card and shows their photograph, name, Gas Safe registration number, card expiry date and the Gas Safe logo. The primary information is also in Braille.

If you are unsure about their identity, ask them to wait outside, then phone us on 028 9035 1131, and we’ll check them out.

Listed below are several helpful websites for gas in Northern Ireland:

Many aspects of gas safety may rely on other people, but you also have specific responsibilities as a tenant. Some of these are in the gas safety regulations; the others are common sense.

  • Do report gas leaks and prevent more gas from leaking by turning your gas off at the mains.
  • Do allow us access every year to make sure all your appliances are working correctly and safely.
  • Use a Gas Safe registered contractor to install and service your gas cooker and your own fire.
  • Do not use gas appliances that you think or know are unsafe. Report faulty appliances to us on 028 9035 1131
  • Don’t block any ventilation or flues needed for gas appliances to work safely.
  • Do not carry out any work on gas appliances or pipes yourself. By law, anyone doing gas work must be trained to do it safely. The easiest way to be sure of this is to use a Gas Safe registered engineer.
  • Do not paint the casing to your fire.
  • Do not use a ceiling fan in a room simultaneously as a gas appliance.


All gas appliances need air to work safely.

You should not block off any source of ventilation that helps a gas appliance to work correctly.

It would be best to make sure that all appliances, flues, ventilation grilles and airbricks are kept clear.

About 30 people a year die accidentally from carbon-monoxide poisoning related to gas appliances. Many more (over 200) suffer from symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide is produced by gas appliances that are poorly installed or not maintained properly or do not have enough ventilation.

Carbon monoxide is invisible and has no smell or taste. Even small amounts can lead to various serious health problems, including brain damage.

You can buy a detector that will tell you if there is carbon monoxide in the air.

You can buy them from DIY or hardware stores.

If you buy a detector, make sure it has a label saying that it meets the standard BS 7860.

Health symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include such things as:

  • Feeling tired
  • Headaches, chest pains, and sudden giddiness when standing up
  • Diarrhoea or stomach pains
  • Strange behaviour

A faulty gas appliance may be responsible, especially if:

  • More than one person in your household suffers symptoms
  • The symptoms improve away from your home and get worse when you return
  • The symptoms are worse when the appliance is being used
  • Any gas appliance (fires, heaters, central heating boilers, water heaters or cookers) can cause these effects.
  • Do not use an appliance if you think it may be unsafe
  • Open doors and windows to ventilate the room
  • Do not sleep in the room
  • Phone us immediately on 028 9035 1131 (9 am to 5 pm) or 0800 731308 (out of hours), and we will get an engineer to check the appliance.

Need more Information?

We have created a downloadable document with more information on Gas Safety.